A cocktail dress or cocktail gown is an outfit worn at cocktail parties and semi-formal, though not black-tie” occasions. The length of a cocktail dress may vary from knee-length to ankle-length. A cocktail dress that is two inches above the ankle is called “tea length” and one that exactly or almost touches the ankle is called “ballerina length.”
A beautiful tea- length cocktail dress is a perfect choice for a cocktail party, military ball, homecoming, formal dance, or wedding. The chiffon ruffles pleated strapless tea length cocktail dress is best matched with a simple necklace and a pair of earrings Silver high heels and a contemporary hairstyle will complete the look.
Tips to Choose a Cocktail that Highlights your Natural Features
- Choose your dress carefully keeping in mind that there should be a focal point to the whole outfit. The focal point can be your face, waist, the bust or legs. If your face is your highlight, wear a classic cocktail dress in solid colours and pair it with large earrings.
- If you want to showcase your neck, sweep your hair up to form a knot with a few strands hanging loose at the nape and close to the ears. A boat-neckedor halter- necked cocktail dress with a necklace is the best. Instead of a pair of danglers,go for a stone studded glitzy pair of teardrops.
- If you plan to showcase your hourglass hips, choose a cocktail dress that snuggles on to your body, like the one shown in the picture below.Accessorize this black gold printed dress with metallic bangles and a subtle clutch purse. You can show off your long legs in gold-coloured heels.
How to Accessorize your Cocktail Dress
A cocktail dress can change the look of the wearer dramatically based on the accessories worn. So accessorize correctly to achieve a certain look. Once you have decided to buy a cocktail dress, visualize yourself in it and buy the ensembles that will get you that certain look you’re planning for.
Wanna look glamourous? Then accessorize your cocktail dress with heavy earrings, glittery lipstick, several bangles and bracelets.
For a formal evening , use light and low-key make-up, metallic studs and a pair of formal heels.
Remember, most cocktail dresses are versatile. You can achieve the perfect look by keeping in mind the occasion you are to attend..
A sleeved black shimmering cocktail dress. Here the wearer has highlighted her face with glossy lipstick, silver danglers and a set of glitzy bangles on the left hand. The model is showcasing her slim figure. This is apt for an evening party. A pair of formal black heels can complete the look.
Related: Peplum is in Trend – Do you own one?
Cocktail dresses are not just for evening parties. You can also downplay the dress for a daytime get-together by pairing it with other garments that are more casual. For instance, you can just show the lower half of your cocktail dress by teaming it with a casual blazer, cardigan or pashmina. Adding leggings and boots can also bring down the formality by a notch. Have a look at this cocktail dress and note how it has been accessorized.
Body type and cocktail dresses
Last but not the least; remember the rule – ” Wear it but do not let it wear you”. While crazy colours and patterns may routinely make a comeback, these trends should never persuade you to wear prints or colours that do not suit your skin tone or hair colour.
- Also keep in mind your height and figure. If you have a petite body, solid colours are the best choice for you. Say no to loud prints which can overwhelm your figure.
- Similarly, a screaming pink cocktail dress may not suit everyone and neither does a staid brown.
- Slim women with dark hair can look bony in dark colours. A tall woman should strike a balance between the cocktail dress and her body shape.
Here are a few beautiful cocktail dresses that can prove ideal for all occasions.
1. Coral Cocktail Dresses
An orange cocktail dress for a casual get together. Team it up with a blazer or cardigan.
Complete the look with a pair of good boots that match the cocktail dresses.
2. The Violet
A violet tube knee- length dress with swirls is an ideal pick for formal occasions. The model is of medium height. Her focal point is her neck. You can also accessorize this dress with a simple silver waist chain, some bangles and a pair of high heeled sandals.
3. Sparkling Sky Blue
Look angelic in this angel- blue dress. This looks best on those with lean figures. Intricately worked on the bust and one shoulder, it is ideal for semi-formal and formal occasions.
A thin silver chain can complete the look.
4. The Royal Blue Sweetheart
This royal blue dress draws one’s focus on the long legs of the model. She is tall and lean. And the dress strikes a perfect balance between her upper and lower body.
Accessorize this fancy dress with silver embellishments.
5. The Sea – Green
This dress brings out the feminity in the wearer. This Sea green cocktail dress, highlights the waist of the model. How about a bunch of silver bangles or an armlet to highlight the long hands ?
You can also get some inspiration from these accessories to mix and match the dress with.
6. The Semi-Formal Blue
This dress has been accessorized for a semi-formal occasion. A bunch of glitzy bangles or bracelets and a silver chain will complete the look. This dress looks best on long-legged damsels. Showcase your long legs by wearing a pair of peep-toes . If you want to make it a casual outfit, team it with an off-white cardigan.
7. The Pinky Pink
Dress pretty in pink for that first date and dinner for two. It is simple and elegant. The focus is on the wearer’s slim hips. Did you notice the fabric waist belt with a rose and a bow? The box pleat flow of the dress gives the wearer a girl-next-door image. Armlets, bangles or bracelets will add to the beauty of the wearer. Use silver or gold accessories to mellow down the colour. Do not forget to carry a same colour or silver/gold clutch purse to complete the look.
To cut a long story short: Remember to, ask yourself while shopping for a cocktail dresses- Are people likely to think, “She looks beautiful,” or “That dress looks beautiful”?
You will immediately know what to buy!