You can have acrylic nails applied at a nail salon or even learn to do them at home yourself to save money. Acrylic nails are done using fake tips and adhering them with glue and sculpting them to your nails using acrylic powder and liquid. It is fairly easy to do, but will take a considerable amount of practice before you perfect the technique. Once you have learned all you need to know about acrylic nail application, you can then paint your nails with various acrylic nail art designs to have great looking nails. You can use regular nail polish or acrylic paint on your acrylic nails to create cute acrylic nail designs .
How to do Acrylic Nails
Whether you plan to do acrylic nails yourself at home or have them done in a salon, it is best to know how to do acrylic nails, to ensure you have them done correctly and safely. There are number of reasons for wanting to have acrylic nails. You may be a nail biter and want to kick the habit, so you have acrylic nails applied to have great looking nails while you let your natural nails grow underneath that you can’t access to bite. Perhaps you have a special engagement to attend and want perfect looking nails for, such as a wedding. Maybe you want long nails but have trouble growing and keeping long nails, so this could be the answer for you. You can buy a kit to start yourself off or buy the individual items, whichever you prefer. A kit may make it easier for your first time trying to do acrylic nails on your own. Your acrylic nails should last two to three weeks before needing to have any more work done to them.
Supplies You Will Need:
- Acrylic Nail Tips
- Acrylic Nail Glue
- Acrylic Nail File or Emery Board
- Acrylic Nail Clippers or Scissors
- Acrylic Primer
- Acrylic Monomer Liquid
- Acrylic Powder
- Brushes (at least one for application and one to clean)
- Nail Buffer
- Cuticle Oil (or Jojoba oil or Olive oil)
As this picture demonstrates acrylic nail tips come in a variety of sizes and shapes, so you can find the style of nails that you want. You can cut down the nail tips to the length that you prefer as well. These artificial nail tips can be purchased at your favourite nail supply store or online. Please watch this video on how to do acrylic nails for a step by step tutorial and great advice on the best way to have your acrylic nails done:
How to Do Acrylic Nails:
- Find the nail tips that fit your natural nails best and file the tips to the correct size to fit your nails the most comfortably.
- Trim and file your nails so that they are all the same length.
- At this point, you want to very gently file the surface of your nail to get rid of all the shine from natural oils on your nail, so that the acrylic will adhere best. Be very careful when doing this step that you don’t hurt yourself by pressing too hard. Please keep in mind that this step removes your natural protective layer of oil from your nails and this can cause drying and brittleness of your nails to occur, so try not to repeat this too frequently.
- Brush off any excess dust from your nails.
- Glue the correct size tips to your nails, making sure they have been placed on straight. Be sure to remove any glue that may have gotten onto your skin right away.
- Trim the fake nail tip to the length and shape that you want.
- File the edge of the acrylic nail tip to even it out better with your natural nail. Do not file your natural nail at this point, but only the acrylic tip.
- Brush away any dust left on the nails from the last step.
- Apply the acrylic Primer to your natural nails. Do not apply this to the fake tips.
- Dip your application brush into the acrylic liquid and then one side of your brush into the acrylic powder. You want an amount of powder that is roughly the size of a pearl. Carefully place this onto your nail and press down gently and apply it to cover your entire nail including the tip. This should make a thin layer over the nail to look natural.
- Dip your brush into the liquid again and then put a little less powder onto your brush. Apply this to end of your nail tip and work it carefully onto your nail, keeping this layer thin once again so that your nail will still look natural.
- Dip your brush once more into the liquid and powder, putting on even less powder this time and apply it to one side of your nail tip making sure to have this over the joint where the fake tip joins the natural nail to help strengthen the bond and sides of your nail.
- Repeat step 12 to other side of your nail. Remember to keep these layers thin and natural looking.
- Allow your nails to dry completely and remove any unwanted acrylic that may have gotten onto your skin at this point.
- File the nail tip again to smooth out the edges and shape them if needed.
- Brush away any unwanted dust.
- Buff your nails to create beautiful, smooth, natural feeling nails.
- Apply cuticle oil to all of your cuticles and gently rub it in and allow it to absorb.
Acrylic Live Tutorial Step by Step
How to Remove Acrylic Nails
Acrylic nails must be soaked off using acetone. Never peel or pull of your acrylic nails as this can damage your natural nails. Please take the proper time and care to remove your acrylic nails safely. Acetone is drying so be sure to moisturize and use cuticle oil after you have removed the acrylic nails.
Be sure to follow this video for the correct procedure to remove acrylic nails:
Acrylic Nail Designs
You can find lots of pictures of acrylic nails online for design ideas. Acrylic nails designs can be done in a number of shapes and lengths. These nails have been done in the trendy almond shape. The nails have then been painted navy blue and the accent nails have been painted white with light blue and black leopard spots. You can use regular nail polish over acrylic nails or even acrylic paint to create cute acrylic nail designs. If you plan to change your nail polish but don’t want to remove the acrylic nails, then you must use nail polish remover that does not have acetone in it at all. Acetone will remove your acrylic nails, so be very careful when removing polish from them.
These acrylic nails designs have been done in the fan shape. The tops of the nails have been painted in a nude shade for the negative space look. The acrylic nail tips have been painted using blue and purple polishes in a gradient stripe pattern. Blue and white flowers have been added to the accent nails and accentuated with gems. There are endless possibilities to create cut acrylic nail designs.
Clear Acrylic Nail Tips
Using clear acrylic tips gives your nails a different look and can be useful for acrylic nail art designs. These clear nail tips have been painted to give a fish bowl appearance. To create this style of cute acrylic nail designs, you paint some of the art onto the back or under side of the tip for the background of the picture. This creates depth to the image. You then paint the foreground of the picture onto the front of the nail tip. This gives the appearance of a fish bowl to your nail art. This is only possible with clear tips.
You can paint your clear tips with cute acrylic nail designs the same way you would paint regular white tips. These nails have been painted in bright summery or tropical colours in an abstract design. The pink and blue stripes part way down the nail have been placed there to hide the white ends of the natural nails under the acrylic nails. This gives the illusion that all of the nails are see through.
Simple Acrylic Nail Designs
If doing nail art is new to you, then try starting off with simple acrylic nail designs like the ones photograph above. These nails have been painted using a sheer polish and then a column of red gems have been added down the middle of the nail. Placing the gems like this causes the eye to follow the pattern downwards and causes your nails to look longer than they are. This is a good trick if your nails are on the short side and you want to create the illusion that they are longer.
These nails have been done using simple acrylic nail designs that are quite similar to a partial henna mehndi look. The nails have been painted in a beautiful coral colour and the pattern has been done using white polish. These cute acrylic nail designs are beautiful and would look wonderful paired with a similar mehndi design on the hands.
Cute Acrylic Nail Designs
Acrylic nail designs pictures online include photos of fun and strange nails. Acrylic nails can be shaped anyway you can think of as these pencil nails demonstrate. These nails have been cut and filed into sharp points and then painted to look like the ends of pencils. These cute acrylic nail designs are a fun back to school look if your school allows it.
Tetris anyone? These cute acrylic nail designs represent the different shapes and colours of the Tetris blocks used in that game. Fake acrylic nails are easy to cut into any shape you can think of and can be used as part of your nail art look. Not everyone would dare to wear cute acrylic nail designs like these or other pictures of acrylic nails you can find online.
Abstract Acrylic Nail Designs
The square shaped nails in this photo appear to have been done using the clear acrylic nails and then painted in a very colourful abstract design almost reminiscent of an 80’s pattern. The nails have just been left clear underneath for the popular negative space trend. You can recreate these cute acrylic nail designs using any colours you wish. This was painted on using dotting tools and striping brushes of different thicknesses. Each nail is unique in it’s pattern and yet similar with it’s use of the same colours and design elements. When creating something like this, don’t worry about getting each nail exactly and precisely the same as they will look just as wonderful if they vary slightly. The only way you can really guarantee they can come out the same is if you use nail art stamping.
These rounded, abstract acrylic nails have been created by doing a sponge gradient of red and beige for the background and then painting on a fake water spotted design in black polish. Gold has then been painted into some of the ‘holes’ for added pizzazz. The short black strokes of polish at the top of the design are good way to camouflage that your nails are growing out, before you have your nails redone.
Cute acrylic nail designs come in many forms using an array of colours and shapes. Choose the patterns that you like best and try different nail shapes until you find the one you are most comfortable with. If you are daring enough you can try a new nail shape to bring you out of your comfort zone. Be sure to check online for many acrylic nail designs pictures to get more ideas and colour combinations you might like to try.