Looking to change your look without having to get a new haircut? Getting bored with the same old style and want to transform your look? Want to do something with your hair, but not spend too much money to do it? Well, here are 10 different hair styles you can easily do yourself without needing to go to a salon. Look trendy and stylish this summer with these new hairdos.
Let’s Look at Some Different Hair Styles
1. The Ponytail Hairstyle
Ponytail hairstyles are one of the simplest looks to do. All you need is a brush or comb and a hair tie of some sort. Do not use rubber elastic as it will damage your hair and you don’t want to do that.
- Simply comb your hair in the direction you want to wear your ponytail
- Then grab it with your free hand and hold it place.
- You can continue to comb it to make sure it is smooth or not bother to comb it all for a far more casual look.
- Once your ponytail is how you want it, wrap a hair tie or tie a non-slippery ribbon around it to keep it in place.
The great thing about ponytail hairstyles is that you can place them anywhere you desire, at the back or the side or even the top of your head. They are so simple to do and one of the quickest hairstyles to achieve. Ponytails are great for helping to beat the summer heat, especially if you bring your ponytail up near the top of your head as shown in the picture above. This method helps to keep your hair flowing in the wind and lifts your hair up and away from the skin on your neck, so that it can look and feel cool.
If you are looking for a bit of fun, try having a ponytail on one side, whichever you like. A side ponytail is cute with short hair, too! Remember you can use more than one tie, by adding other ties at the bottom or every couple of inches to create a variety of designs with this simplest of hairstyles. You can also add other ornaments to your hair once it has been tied in place, such as bows or flowers. This is an easy hairstyle to liven up and create the illusion of different hair styles!
2. Braided Hairstyle
Braiding your hair is another easy way to change your look without much effort and you can do it yourself too. All you will need is a comb or brush, and hair tie of some sort. Again, as with the ponytail, do not use a regular rubber elastic to tie your hair as it will break your hair and can easily get tangled up in your hair. There are a number of different braiding techniques that you can use, from a simple braid, to French braiding and even fancier styles like the waterfall. All you have to do is practice until you master these skills. Once again, this is a style that can be done anywhere in your hair, be it the back, side, top or front. You can braid all of your hair or only a section of it. You can do one or more braids if you choose. Braided hair are very versatile designs that are only limited by your imagination and daring.
- To braid your hair, simply comb it out so that it is clear of any tangles.
- It is best to braid your hair when it is a little damp as this makes your hair easier to work with by helping it to stay in place better.
- If your hair is damp when you braid it and it dries while braided it will give your hair a beautiful wavy appearance when you pull the braid out or if you make smaller braids it may give your hair a crimped effect.
- You need to divide your now combed hair into three sections, all the same thickness or width.
- You take the right side and cross it over the top of the middle section.
- Now take the left side and cross it over the new middle section.
- Take the new right side and cross it over the new part in the middle.
- Continue this until your braid is the length you want it to be.
Here is a video tutorial you can follow to learn how to master this technique:
Once you have learned to do this basic braid, you can then expand your skills by taking on different braiding methods, such as the French braid or pixie braid. There are lots of helpful tutorials on YouTube and other online channels that you can learn from. Don’t forget you can always add ornaments and other decorations to your hair to liven up your braided hairstyles.
3. The Fishtail Braid Hairstyle
Fishtail hairstyles are a trend that is growing more popular and is good for just about every occasion. Different hair styles can be achieved as with regular braiding. (See above.)You can make your fishtail as thick or thin “finned” as you desire. This is another simple type of braid that you can easily do yourself. Don’t be scared to give this a try.
- For this method of braiding simply brush out your hair to remove any tangles as you would for a regular braid.
- Divide your hair into two sections only, rather than the usual three.
- Now you separate a small section from the right part and cross it over and add it to the left part.
- Now take a small section of the left side and cross it over and add it to the right section.
- Start again by taking a small part of the right section and cross it over the left, then a small section of the left and cross it over to the right.
- Repeat this process until you have the look and length that you desire.
Fishtail hairstyles can be worn everyday and are casual enough to be worn on a picnic and formal enough for a bride to wear on her wedding day. It all depends on how small you make the sections to cross over and how you decorate your hair and fishtail braid.
For a More Detailed Tutorial, Watch the Video to Learn How to do a Fishtail Braid:
4. The Bun Hairstyle
Bun hairstyles come in a variety of finished looks and one can use a variety of techniques for creating them. The picture tutorial above shows one example of how to create a “poofy” bun. The first step requires you to pull your hair up to the top of your head and make a ponytail using a small hair tie.
- The second step shows putting a larger scrunchy or tie overtop of the small tie.
- Third, you evenly pull the hair over the top of the scrunchy to create a donut look.
- Now pull the bottom of your hair back through one of the layers of the scrunchy to finish the donut look.
- Gather the hair you have sticking out together into two sections on opposite sides.
- Now twist those two sections
- Finally, tuck those twists back into the scrunchy again or add a third hair tie and wrap the ends into that.
- This is just one way to accomplish a bun.
You can make your bun hairstyles as informal as you desire for a day of housework or as dressed up as you need for the event you will be attending. Buns are a very useful style that suit just about any attire, from a formal gown to a jogging suit. Feel free to decorate them anyway you want. Check out different pictures and videos online to find the styles you like best and want to learn.
5. The Bandana Headband Hairstyle
Bandana headbands are the quickest way to style your hair a little differently and a great way to add colour and design to your appearance. Bandanas, headbands, ribbons and scarves are just some of the items you can use to create this look. You can use the bandana to pull back all the hair from your face or, as in the picture above, just tie it around your head with part of your hair coming down as bangs.
Bandana headbands can be done in an assortment of ways to invent different hair styles. You can use the bandana as the actual hair tie or use it to decorate a ponytail or braid, too. There are different ways to tie or knot the bandana to create a variety of styles as well. The bandana can be worn as wide or thin as you would like to produce a number of looks and can give you a fun 50’s appearance when worn a certain way.
- Start by folding your bandana to the width you want it, making sure the coloured design is on the outside, if the pattern is only on one side.
- Hold the bandana by the ends and put it around the back of your head or, at the top of your neck. You can do this over or under your hair.
- Pull the sides of the bandana around your head to meet at the top and tie it in place.
- If you want all your hair pulled back with the bandana, simply bring the bandana down around your neck, like a necklace once it has been tied to the proper size.
- Make sure all of your hair is out of the bandana and slip the scarf back up over your face pulling all of your hair back with it.
- You can wear it tightly back or carefully push the scarf forward a little causing your hair to bunch up a little at the front.
6. The Side Braid Hairstyle
One very popular trend for hair is the side braid. This can be done tightly and perfectly neat or loose and casual depending on what style you want. You can add a touch of femininity to your look by wearing side braid hairstyles. To get different looks for this hairstyle, use any braiding technique you prefer and try mixing up which side you wear your braid. Side braid hairstyles look great with just a plain braid or fancier using a French or fishtail design. Once again, you can add any ornaments you wish to spice up your look to fit the occasion.
To achieve this look:
- Simply brush all of your hair over one shoulder, whichever side you prefer.
- Once you have gathered all your hair to one side, simply follow your favourite method for braiding.
- It’s that easy!
7. Faux Mohawk Hairstyle
Think you can’t change your look if you have short hair? Well one way you can, is with this trend of a faux mohawk. All you need is a good strong holding gel to get this style to work for you.
- Spread the gel throughout your hair and comb the top of your hair upwards.
- Add more gel if you need to help hold this look into place and grab your hair with an upward motion.
- You can have stiff spikes or a softer slightly curled look, whichever you prefer.
There are even ways you can create this look with long hair, too. Try looking up tutorials online to find a method that will work for you. A faux mohawk is a versatile design that is suitable for a day at the office or a night out in the city.
8. The Wet Look Hairstyle
Different hairstyles can be constructed using the wet look. Whether you want your hair to be combed back smooth behind your ears and off your forehead or relaxed and free styled this style can work for you. This is a terrific style to use on those hot, sultry days to give you a cool look. To create this stunning hairstyle:
- Simply apply gel to your wet hair and style how you want it.
- Apply extra gel if you need it and leave it alone to dry or stiffen with the wet gel look.
- Don’t touch it once it is set or you may ruin the wet appearance.
This is a terrific style to wear at the beach or anytime you want to fresh and cool. The wet look will work on any length of hair.
9. Pinned Hairstyles
Many different hairstyles can be produced using a vast array of pins and clips.
- You can wear bobby pins either wavy side up or flat side up. Either way is fine and will give you a different finish or, you can alternate flat and wavy sides for some fun.
- Try pinning one side of your hair and leaving the other side down for a new look.
- Another method is to pin back your bangs if you find they are getting in the way or to change your look.
Pins can be used to create a new hairstyle or used for decoration.
10. Temporary Hair Coloring
You can color your hair just about any color of the rainbow and beyond now, to create different hairstyles. Temporary coloring can be done using dye, chalk, and even food coloring. You can color strips of your hair, or the bottom, for the ombre look.
You can even color a braid or your ponytail. This is a great way to try out different hair colors without being stuck with a permanent change.
Try all the colors you want to find what suits you best. Don’t be afraid to give this hot new trend a chance. If you have dark hair, you may need to bleach your hair first if you want the color to be intense.
The new chalks and dyes will work on dark hair, but might not stand out as much as you would like. Blondes can easily use these temporary hair colors with maximum effect because their hair is already a pale shade.
Remember, the hair color is temporary, so it will wash out and your hair will be back to normal. Changing the color of your hair is like wearing bright makeup, you just need the bravado to do it. You’ll look great and have fun doing it!
Changing your hairstyle can be done affordably and you can do it right in your own home with a little effort. No need to spend big bucks at a fancy salon, when you can do it all yourself. You only need a few supplies and the courage to try something new. You can wear different hair styles and impress everyone around you every day of the week and for any occasion or event you attend.
If you have long hair and have been thinking about cutting it short, but are afraid to take that drastic step then this video is for you. Click the link above to discover how to make your long hair look short without cutting it. This is a great tool to use so you can fool people into thinking you cut your hair. You can also check to see whether or not you would be happy with short hair.
Related Posts :