The youth movement of the sixties is said to have given birth to mini skirts. This garment with its rather tumultuous past and somewhat notorious origins has come a long way since the days when designers used the rise and fall of its hemline to make political statements.
It is supposed to have made its first modern appearance in the year 1926 when Josephine Baker raised a number of eyebrows and created a ripple of sorts in the Paris fashion circles by wearing a mini skirt made out of banana skins during her act in “Folies Bergère”. Mini skirts also appeared briefly in science fiction films like “Flight to Mars” and “Forbidden Planet”, in the 1950s.
The credit for creating the modern version of the really short mini is accorded to the British-designer Mary Quant. She is supposed to have created this controversial skirt that rises well above the knees and is by and large, 8–10 cms below the buttocks. “It was a way of rebelling”, she claims, for the young and defiant woman of the 1960’s who chose to wear it as a symbol of her outrage and disillusionment against the existing regimes. The true credit for the creation of the modern day mini skirt should go to the girls on the streets from whom Mary Quant is supposed to have derived her motivation in the mid 1960s. The name of course came from her favourite car the Austin “mini”.
Nevertheless the youth movement of the sixties alone was not responsible for the creation of the mini skirt. Apparently archeologists who delved into the ruins of ancient Egypt had already come across sculptures dating back to 5400 – 4750 B.C of Egyptian acrobats dressed in miniskirts by then.
There has been a resurgence of fashion trends of the 1990s over the last one year and the fashion scene has witnessed the revival of a whole range of street wear in the form of the spaghetti strap dress, tube tops, high waist jeans, denim jackets, the pleated mini skirt and the denim mini skirt and several other beautiful variations of this highly trendy garment .
It comes as no surprise therefore that the mini denim skirt worn with platform trainer shoes in particular has turned into the item-to-die -for in every young girl’s closet this year.
Denim Mini Skirt
The present denim miniskirts are created out of distressed denims, with frayed hems, and embellishments. The denim mini skirt is readily available off shelves in a variety of shapes and sizes. The A-line, the button down, the straight and zip back, there is a mini denim skirt to suit all body- types and budgets once you make up your mind to wear it.
Source : gurl.com
Floral Mini Skirt
The cute floral mini skirt for instance is a vibrant addition to your spring/ summer wardrobe and will go with just about anything from the old school blazer to your boyfriend’s over sized t-shirt .you can team it up with an amazing range of accessories. As you sashay your way past admirers, draw their attention, with the cool wind caressing your hair and a pair of bright fluorescent heels on your pretty feet. Remind them of a fresh spring morning and bright summer blossoms and take their hearts away.
Source : demandware.net
Plaid Mini Skirt
Just as history keeps repeating it so does fashion. It must be understood that the plaid mini skirt is not really a trend; it’s more of a tradition that will never fade away. Even a cursory glance at the fashion trends from the 60s, 70s and 90’s that are supposed to be the source of inspiration for current fashion trends shows that they have the plaid mini skirt in common. The plaid mini skirt of the 60s was worn with knee high socks and oxford shoes or high boots. The 70s girl wore A-line, pencil or pleated plaid miniskirts that looked incredibly smart with side pockets and high tube boots. The 90s kid took to the “Clueless” look with high waisted and short plaid mini skirts. Today’s plaid mini skirt is a more versatile version and is mostly about creating a nostalgic blend of all these decades with a slightly daring twist and accessorizing it with a dollop of attitude!
Source : lulus.com
Leather Mini Skirt
The timeless quality of leather makes it a much coveted item in a woman’s wardrobe and the leather mini skirt adds an extra bit of oomph to any given situation. The versatility of this garment has made it so popular that it can be as easily spotted on the catwalk as it can be on the streets, at parties or the workplace .Whether it is the carefree look or a stylishly sophisticated one the leather mini skirt is suited perfectly for both.
Source : stylishboard.com
Sequin Mini Skirt
Whether you’re hitting the party scene or just living it up at a holiday resort, the feisty little sequin mini skirt is with its glittering embellishments of black, gold and silver or green is an absolute must for your summer wardrobe. Pair it with a dark bodysuit and killer heels like a true creature of the night and bedazzle your friends with the shiny, sparkling and glittering look.
Source : pinimg.com
Pleated Mini Skirt
If there’s one item you absolutely must include in your wardrobe for your fall/winter collection it should be a pleated mini skirt. There has been an overdrive of this version of the mini skirt which can be paired with literally everything. Wear them with bomber jackets and combat boots for a refreshingly young, easy- going, everyday look.
Source : lystit.com
Try These Few Ideas of How to Pair Your Mini Skirts
- What to wear with a mini skirt: This fun garment can be combined with a wide assortment of pretty shirts, tops and accessories. There are no rules and yet several rules have to be taken into consideration if you want to step out in style in the mini skirt of your choice. Mini skirts fit in just as well at your work place as in the streets and high society parties. The key idea however is too look chic in an everyday – simple way.
- When temperatures rise this summer a frayed mini denim skirt may be worn with an oversized striped shirt.
- Bomber jackets and military coats also seem to have captured the imagination of wearers of mini skirts. If you have beautiful legs, show them off by wearing your mini skirt with boots.
- How about a long sleeve white long sleeve top in black stripes styled with black, leather mini skirt with zips details and suede high boots.
- Wear a white shirt tucked into your plaid mini skirt with flared bottom. If you want a slightly edgy glam look go for fishnet, opaque stockings with boots, high heels, flat shoes, flip-flops or glam wedge shoes.
- Team your sequined silvery mini skirt a black leather shortened jacket and chunky cable knit sweater.
- The formal look appropriate for the office consists of a black blazer worn atop the same color lightweight turtleneck that is tucked into your mini skirt with opaque tights and black pumps.
- For a perfectly chic “Le Parisiene” look team your mini with a dark polo neck and round-toed shoes this autumn or winter.
- A frayed hem denim mini skirt worn with a white body suit and a sweater flung casually over the shoulders serve the dual purpose of giving its wearer a relaxed yet fashionable and purposeful look.
- On the other hand if the Bella Hadid’s “rock chick” look is what your heart desires wear yours a like typical New York girl and team it up with black lace up ankle boots and aviator shades. Sling a leather backpack over your shoulders for special effect.
- For an effortlessly cool look, set off your button down A-line mini with wooden platform sandals and a simple trapeze top, platform sandals and a simple trapeze top.
- Choose a high waist mini skirt with a tucked in sweater and opt for sneakers or ankle boots to give you the bubbly school girl look.
- A rich black or navy crop pullover with long sleeves can be teamed with high-waist ruffle mini skirt in red or white combined with a glossy black clutch and mid-heeled black shoes.
- And if grunge be your style compliment the mini with messy hair, dark lips, knee length socks and short dark nails.
- For the semi formal office look wear a sweatshirt with a blazer and ankle length flat boots with your mini skirt.
- A slightly edgier style is also in vogue this season for mini skirts, team them up with chunky knits, men’s shirts, and biker boots. The idea is to look less feminine and more practical.
All said and done , the pretty school girl look , the glam party look, grunge, formal and a whiff of nostalgia the mini skirt is made up of all these and a just a little bit more !