The butterfly saree draping is ideal for a curvaceous figure, although anyone can experiment with this style. You can try this saree draping with any kind of saree. However, the wings of the butterfly stand out if you opt for a lighter saree, like kota or chiffon. Opt for a saree that is embellished with embroidery or woven all over to enhance its look. This style is done with an ulta pallu ( front pallu).
Related: Saree Draping in Marathi Style
Below is the step by step guide to Saree Draping in Butterfly Style
- Start off with wearing your saree slip or petticoat and a matching blouse along with the shoes you intend to wear, just so you have an idea of the sari length to match your height.
- Starting from the extreme right, tuck your saree into the petticoat. After one wrap, make fine pleats and tuck them at the centre. Now, wrap the saree and bring it under your right hand to cover your breasts.
- Take the sari to your back , and wrap it around. Pin the sari to your blouse in order to keep it in place.
- Now bring the pallu in front, and pleat the end. Keep the pallu short.
- Pin the saree to your shoulder and leave it loose.
- Lift up the lower front portion of the sari that is covering your breasts, and after pleating it, pin it at the centre. You will end up with two wings –like flaps in front, akin to that of a butterfly.
Here is a video to guide you how to drape a saree :
Even if you do not want to wear your saree butterfly style, a butterfly effect can be created with a butterfly pallu worn on a regular saree. The pallu is so designed that it gives you a butterfly effect. Quite a few sarees are available with butterfly-style pallus in the market. The Butterfly style pallu is a pre-pleated pallu that has to just be slung over the shoulder. You could opt for one to add a bit of novelty to your wardrobe. Here are a few options.
Related : Saree Draping in Mermaid Style